Yesterday we had a lesson with our dressage trainer. I had her work him in lines to see just how much we had accomplished in 2 weeks. Except he was so afraid of her that he just wanted to super trot around blindly for the first 10 mins. At one point he ended up with the bit under his tongue, when she slowed him to fix it, he reared up to get away from her. *sigh*
Today I again worked him in lines, W/T/C both directions. He's very sticky going to the right, but he'll be seeing a Magnawave/Body Work therapist on Tuesday. Other than some ear pinning and being a little uncomfortable going to the right, he was great. We did several transisitions from walk to trot, trot to canter, and back down. He tried each time. I was very happy with him. Cooled him down and stuck him on the cross ties while I picked poop. ( I know this seems like information you dont need, howevere it will make more sense in a few minutes why I stress that he was fine standing tied here.)
So I can hear the farrier's truck coming up, and as soon as Loki realizes it, he panics. At the time I tried not to react, but he makes it almost impossible to pretend that everything is ok when is head is as high as possible, eyes white, and trying to pull the barn down.
Uncrosstie him. Walk him out to the gate so he can see the farrier approach him. Make him stand there, head lowered, and then walk him back to the barn.
I didnt put him back on the crossties, frankly because I'm tired of him breaking them when he panics. Poor choice? Eh, maybe, but I do what I think is right.
Farrier gets to work and we're all fine and dandy until Loki's pasturemates start making noise on the other side of the barn wall. Loki loses it. Rears up, Farrier hangs on, Loki fights, farrier keeps leg, after maybe 30-45 seconds (seriously it felt like a lifetime, embarrassed horse mom hates these moments) Loki stops attempting to rear, farrier releases leg. But now he wont straighten out on the mat, and wont approach the farrier. After trying to sidepass him several times back towards the middle of the mat and towards the farrier, he started trying to pin me against the stall walls. I'd had enough and (I call it angry backing, because it usually happens when I'm pissed) angry backed him out of the barn and off through the pasture. He diagonally backed half way through the pasture before I allowed him to quit.
Brought him back to the barn, farrier finished him up, no problems.
This horse will stand on crossties all day if its just me and him. Whether the other horses are close by, far off, whatever. He also stands quietly at the trailer fine. I say that just so its understood that it isnt a standing problem. Its a true fearful, "this farrier is a horse eater" moment.
He makes me feel so inadequate as a horsewoman. But, tomorrow is another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment